Thursday, December 8, 2011

Homemade Snow Globes

I am very lucky to have an Anthropologie store just down the street from me. Everything they sell seems to be so expensive, but once in a while I discover a good find that I can afford. Or even better I get a lot of inspiration for things I can make myself! The style of their clothing, decor, etc. appears to be very vintage, found in the attic, thrifty, or DIY. Which is definitely why I love it there and also why I am able to make things that can compare to what they sell.

Recently when I was strolling through one afternoon I stumbled upon all of their holiday merchandise. It was all very original, cute and just my style. However, the price tag was ridiculous. So I put it upon myself to make some of the decor. One of my favorite decorations was the cute mason jar snow globe! And it seemed to be such an easy craft, which it was! Not to mention a lot easier on the wallet.




Image via Anthropologie 



A friend and I went to Michael's one day and found everything we needed. We got medium sized mason jars for about $1.50 each, a package of small trees for about $4 (though we were disappointed with the selection, unless you wanted to buy a package with 50 small trees), some white glitter for $2.99, and then just used my glue gun and mod podge type glue that I already had. So for just $10 we were able to make 2 medium sized snow globes, with enough glitter and glue to use for others. The Anthropologie globe costs $30 for one! The selection of jars and trees are different at every craft store, so the pricing may vary when making your own.


Here is how it turned out:




Like I said, we had trouble finding a variety of mini trees, so they are a tad small for the jar, but overall it is cute! Most mason jars have 2 pieces within the lid, so you just need to glue those together with a glue gun. Then you glue gun the trees to the inside of the lid however you want. Next you would use the mod podge type glue to to get some of the glitter to stick to the trees and also some glitter to the inside of the lid. I decided to use the glue gun to create some little piles of "snow" made of glue around the trees, then covered with glitter. So just be creative. Then lastly you put about an inch or 2 of glitter inside the jar and screw on the lid, and Ta-Da!


Happy Holidays and Crafting!
-M

No comments: