Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Keep Calm

I am sure you all have seen versions of the British "Keep Calm" posters. The original one stated "Keep Calm and Carry On," a poster produced by the British Government in 1939 during the beginning of WWII, intended to raise the morale of the British public in the event of invasion. Then it was rediscovered in 2000 and has been re-issued by several private companies, and used as a decorative theme for a range of products.

 Image via Wikepedia


I really like this one that I found below, I want to find a large copy and frame it!



Currently I am reading the book The Help, which just came out in the movie theaters as well. Of course I will wait until I am done reading it before I go to see the movie! One of my favorite things about reading a book is that it takes you to another place, and when it is based in a different era or decade, it's even better! This one takes place in the early 1960's, and it is written with multiple points of view. The book was not written with proper grammar as they would like to portray the literacy of the characters. It really helps you feel like you are there in the room with each character. I usually read to and from work, when I am on the train, and then sometimes before bed or while working out. The only trouble about reading it on my way to work is that I never want to get off the train, because I just want to keep on reading!


What good books have you read lately?
-M

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I am currently reading on my kindle:
Stories I Only tell my Friends by Rob Lowe, A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin, Mommywood by Tori Spelling, My Korean Deli by Ben Howe, Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer, and 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson (This one fits with your keep calm and carry on theme)I think you need to put a kindle on your Christmas list. Easier than carrying a big book like The Help around.